PRESENTATION OF THE Nîmes FESTIVAL
Every summer I cover the Nîmes festival for magazines and for the festival.
For a concert photographer, the conditions are very comfortable, the point of view is unique.
After more than 10 years of exploring these arenas, I admit that I love this unmissable festival in the south of France.
Since 1997, the Nîmes Festival invades the arenas every summer in all their diversity under the banner of contemporary music.
From French songs (Johnny Hallyday, Michel Polnareff, Renaud, Patrick Bruel ...) to metal (Slipknot, Rammstein, Metallica...), big stars of international diversity (Placebo, Foo Fighters, Bjork, Lenny kravitz, Arcade Fire, Red Hot chilly Peppers…).
Before the next one Nîmes Festival, let's take a closer look at everything there is to know about this unique festival.
FESTIVAL DE NÎMES: AN INTERNATIONAL PROGRAM
For a long time, most cultural festivals take place in the south of France in all disciplines: theater, music, dance, street art ...
In this incredibly dense landscape, the Nîmes Festival has a unique and indispensable place today:
it offers summer entertainment for a very diverse audience by bringing together the big names in live music in all their genres in the conditions of an exceptional setting.
It is a fairly unique mix of musicians, renowned groups and stars of tomorrow, it offers the pleasure of discovery, but also the rediscovery of legendary musicians for an unparalleled experience.
NÎMES FESTIVAL: AN EXCEPTIONAL PLACE
The arenas of Nîmes perfectly illustrate the level of perfection reached by Roman engineers in the planning and construction of this very complex type of building. Indeed, it presents an almost perfect symmetry.
The oval shape is 133 meters long and 101 meters wide. The track, it measures 68 meters by 38 meters. The facade is 21 meters high is on two floors with 60 arches one above the other and an attic separated by a cornice.
A son sommet, des pierres saillantes percées étaient munies de mâts sur lesquels était accroché un velum, un immense écran qui était étalé sur le public pour le protéger de la pluie, du soleil et de la chaleur.
Originally, all the arcades on the ground floor were open to serve as an entrance or exit. There are larger Roman amphitheatres, but it is the best preserved of all.
In Roman times, the monument could accommodate 24,000 spectators, divided into 34 rows of stands, divided into four autonomous areas or maeniana.
Chacun était desservi par une galerie et des centaines d’escaliers et de passages appelés vomitoires. Cette disposition judicieuse a permis d’éviter le risque de surcharge lors de l’afflux de spectateurs.
The design of the amphitheater gave everyone a glimpse of the arena. Several underground galleries under the track formed the wings.
Hatchways and a lifting system made it possible to exhibit decorations, animals or gladiators. This amphitheater undoubtedly has, at least because of the general appearance of its facade, its attic crowned with locked columns and 60 arches on each level.
Son système de transport public intérieur presque intact et une grande partie de ses tribunes (certainement claires et restaurées) conservées au XIXe siècle), le mieux conservé au monde.
Les origines des festivals de musique remontent à la Grèce antique, où de tels événements impliquaient souvent des compétitions dans les domaines de la musique, des arts et des sports. Les festivals de musique modernes aux États-Unis sont nés de l’établissement et de la philosophie de Woodstock .
Bien qu’il ne s’agisse pas du premier événement du genre (les Newport Folk and Jazz Festivals, le Milwaukee’s Summerfest et le Monterey Pop Festival sont antérieurs à Woodstock), l’événement de 1969 occupe une place mythique dans l’histoire de la culture pop américaine. Les festivals ont depuis évolué du bricolage et de l’esprit communautaire de Woodstock, pour devenir des entreprises grand public qui récoltent des bénéfices et adoptent des parrainages d’entreprise, alors que plus de 32 millions de personnes y assistent chaque année, selon Billboard.
Coachella, one of the nation's most popular festivals, grossed $ 114.6 million in 2017, setting a major record for the first recurring festival franchise to earn more than $ 100 million.
“Before, they were more of a cultural communion,” says Carlos Chirinos, professor of clinical music and global health at New York University. “A group of people who were into the same type of music, they would get together. It was the driving force throughout the 1970s and 1980s until it became a profitable format.
The Metallica Concert to Nîmes Festival
Behind the scenes of Nîmes Festival on video
HOW TO GET TO Nîmes Festival ?
Come to Nîmes Festival by plane
Nîmes Airport in Garons (15 kms from Nîmes) // Tel: 04.66.70.49.49 // https://www.aeroport-nimes.fr/
Come to Nîmes Festival by train
Nîmes train station is a 5-minute walk from the Arena // For information to prepare your trip, follow timetables, book and buy a train ticket:
www.voyages-sncf.com. Information / Reservations: Special rate number: 36 35. For calls from abroad: 08.36.35.35.35
- TGV MEDITERRANEE:
The city of Nîmes is less than 3 hours from Paris, a return trip is possible during the day:
Nîmes / Paris (Gare de Lyon): 3h00
Nîmes / Paris (Charles de Gaulle): 3h30
Nîmes / Marseille: 0h55
Nîmes / Lille: 4h20
Nîmes / Lyon: 1h20
Nîmes / Montpellier: 0h30
Nîmes / Brussels: 5.15 am
- INTER CITÉS Trains are in place for travelers coming from Bordeaux, Toulouse, Marseille and Nice.
- Regional Express Transport: TER trains and coaches
Come to Nîmes Festival by car
- Motorway access: A 54 from Arles, Marseille, Côte d'Azur, Italy // A 7 from Avignon, Valence, Lyon // A 9 from Montpellier, Narbonne, Perpignan, SPAIN
- French connections: PARIS: 708 km // LYON: 246 km // NICE: 277 km // MONTPELLIER: 53 km // BORDEAUX: 528 km // PERPIGNAN: 201 km // MARSEILLE: 121 km // TOULOUSE: 288 km
- International connections: BARCELONA: 390 km // GENEVA: 405 km // MILAN: 594 km
How to take advantage of Nîmes Festival ?
WHERE TO STAY ?
The 4-star Novotel Atria Nîmes Center hotel is located in Nîmes city center near Nîmes train station (400m), opposite the Arena.
The hotel offers 119 air - conditioned rooms, a private car park with 40 spaces, a Novotel Café restaurant and bar, open every day for lunch and dinner. Information and reservations: CLICK HERE
FESTIVAL: WHERE TO PARK?
Find all the information on car parks on the website of the Tourist Office of the City of Nîmes
→ https://www.ot-nimes.fr/ (“Practical” tab → “Parkings”). The closest being the Arena car park!
RESERVE YOUR TICKETS
The stupid question: what is a music festival?
A music festival is a large event, usually held outdoors, that features many musicians or groups performing back to back.
Small festivals sometimes only last a day, but most of the more popular and well-known events take place over a weekend or longer.
Many large festivals have multiple stages and can usually accommodate many groups and musical numbers. Musicians are often very interested in performing to give their fans a live performance while also making themselves known to new supporters.
Festivals are usually organized according to a specific theme or genre, and usually incorporate a number of both new and old musical numbers.
It is also common to see festivals focused on certain national celebrations or ethnic traditions. Dance and elaborate costumes are often a part of the two.
Depending on the details and location, festival organizers may offer camping facilities, showers and toilet access for attendees, which can facilitate remote travel.
It is also not uncommon to find a range of food stalls, fairground games, vendors, and other attractions.
Basic concept of Music Festival
Most music festivals are like extended concerts; they include several groups playing more or less non-stop.
They can take place indoors, usually in stadiums or in performance halls, but it is much more common to find them outdoors.
Stages are often set in fields or empty grounds, and fans usually bring their own chairs and blankets to sit on while watching.
Sometimes seats are provided, but this can add a logistical challenge and do more work for the organizers.
Eric CANTO Photographe : Photos de concerts, portraits, pochettes d’albums.
In BONUS: ALL THE PROGRAMS AND POSTERS OF THE NIMES FESTIVAL SINCE 1997
Nîmes Festival 2019
- June 23: ELTON JOHN
- June 26 & 27: SOPRANO
- June 28: KENDJI GIRAC + BOULEVARD DES AIRS
- June 30: PASCAL OBISPO + ZAZIE + ANTOINE GALEY
- July, 1st: SLIPKNOT + AVATAR
- July 3: SLASH FT MYLES KENNEDY & THE CONSPIRATORS + RIVAL SONS
- 4th July: ZZ TOP + STATUS QUO
- July 6: NICK MASON + ANATHEMA
- July 10: JAMEL
- July 11: TOTO + SUPERTRAMP'S ROGER HODGSON
- July 12: M + MARCUS MILLER + TIWAYO
- July 13: LOMEPAL + EDDY DE PRETTO
- July 15: MARK KNOPFLER
- July 17: TEARS FOR FEARS + UB40
- July 18: PATRICK BRUEL + FILLS MONKEY
- July 19: TWENTY ONE PILOTS
- July 20: STARS 80
Nîmes Festival 2018
- June 17: TEXAS + SIMPLE MINDS
- June 20: MARILYN MANSON
- June 22: CALOGERO
- June 23: ENNIO MORRICONE
- June 28: ORELSAN
- June 29: JULIEN CLERC + VERONIQUE SANSON
- June 30: KIDS UNITED
- July 4: IAM
- July 5: VIANNEY + CATS ON TREES
- July 8: LENNY KRAVITZ
- July 12: JAMIROQUAI
- July 13: INDOCHINA
- July 17: STING
- July 18: MASSIVE ATTACK + YOUNG FATHERS
- July 19: BIGFLO & OLI + NAÂMAN
- July 20: NORAH JONES + MELODY GARDOT + KIMBEROSE
- July 22: SHAKA PONK + VITALIC
Nîmes Festival 2017
- June 20: SYSTEM OF A DOWN + CODE ORANGE
- June 22: THE OLD CANAILLES + THE GIPSY
- July 2: ZUCCHERO + THE PRETENDERS
- July 5: RENAUD + GAUVAIN SERS
- July 6: JULIEN DORE + CHRISTOPHE + OMOH
- July 7: MICHEL SARDOU
- July 9: MANU CHAO AND LA VENTURA TOUR + KOOLSPEED
- 11 July : RAMMSTEIN
- July 12: RAMMSTEIN
- July 13: RAMMSTEIN
- July 15: IBRAHIM MAALOUF
- July 16: LONDON GRAMMAR + ÁSGEIR
- July 17: SCORPIONS + GUT-SCRAPERS
- July 18: PLACEBO + TALISCO
- July 19: THE INSUS + THE GRYS-GRYS
- July 20: THE INSUS + THE GRYS-GRYS
- July 21: CHRISTOPHE MAE + BENJAMIN SIKSOU
Nîmes Festival 2016
- July 12: LES INSUS + MISS AMERICA
- July 13: KENDJI GIRAC + Guest
- July 14: JEAN-MICHEL JARRE + KOUDLAM + TELEPOPMUSIK
- July 16: MIKA + MARINA KAYE + BRIGITTE
- July 17: JOHNNY HALLYDAY + PONY PONY RUN RUN
- July 18: MUSE + LAST TRAIN + TOM ODELL
- July 20: DAVID GILMOUR
- July 21: DAVID GILMOUR
- July 22: FRANCIS CABREL “in extremis tour” + BENOIT DOREMUS
- July 23: MICHEL POLNAREFF + MARVIN JOUNO
- July 24: MASTER GIMS + BIG FLO & OLI
Nîmes Festival 2015
- June 24: PHARRELL WILLIAMS + BEAT ASSAILANT DJ SET
- July 2: JOHNNY HALLYDAY Stay Alive + Manu Lanvin
- July 3: JOHNNY HALLYDAY Stay Alive + Manu Lanvin
- July 4: BEN HARPER & THE INNOCENT CRIMINALS + SELAH SUE + DENAI MOORE
- July 7: NICKI MINAJ + BIG SEAN + RAE SREMMURD
- July 9th : LENNY KRAVITZ + Rival Sounds
- July 15: TOTO + CHRISTOPHER CROSS + CESAR JACQUOT
- July 16: SANTANA + VADEL
- July 20: STING + James Walsh
- July 21: CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS + ETIENNE DAHO + BENJAMIN CLEMENTINE + PEREZ
- July 22: JOAN BAEZ + MAXIME LE FORESTIER + AYO
- July 26: BLACK M + SOPRANO + BIGFLO & OLI
Nîmes Festival 2014
- June 28: ZZ TOP + Guest
- July 2: FAUVE + François & The Atlas Mountains
- July 3: - M - + RODRIGO Y GABRIELA + YODELICE
- July 8: ARCTIC MONKEYS + SPECIAL GUESTS INTERPOL + Guest
- July 14: SKRILLEX + Kavinsky (Outrun Live) + Baauer
- July 15: THE BLACK KEYS + THE KILLS + Harold Martinez
- July 22: SHAKA PONK + The Bloody Beetroots + Carbon Airways Guest
- July 24: STROMAE + Cherub + Gabriel RIOS
Nîmes Festival 2013
- June 29: DEAD CAN DANCE + INVITE
- July 6: ASSAULT SEXION + The Shin Sekai
- July 9: MARK KNOPFLER + INVITE
- July 10: GREEN DAY + BLACK REBEL MOTORCYCLE CLUB + Volbeat
- July 16: DEPECHE MODE + INVITES
- July 17: NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE + PATTI SMITH
- July 18: C2C + GUESTS
Nîmes Festival 2012
- June 27: BJORK + Guest
- July 15: BOB DYLAN + Adam Cohen
- July 17: BLINK 182 + SUM 41 + The All American Rejects + Skip The Use
- July 18: MANU CHAO - LA VENTURA + Guest
- July 19: JUSTICE + Guests
- July 20: DAVID GUETTA + Digitalism + Pascal Billotet
- July 21: ELTON JOHN AND HIS BAND
- July 29: LMFAO + Guests
Nîmes Festival 2011
- June 30: ARCHIVE + PAUL KALKBRENNER live + GUEST
- July 6: CHEMICAL BROTHERS + CRYSTAL CASTLES + THE DO + METRONOMY
- July 10: SUPERTRAMP + GUEST
- July 18: SANTANA + KEZIAH JONES acoustic solo + ASA
- July 19: PORTISHEAD + MOGWAI
- July 22: BEN HARPER + ROBERT PLANT + Asaf Avidan & the Mojos
- July 23: STING "SYMPHONICITY" + YAEL NAIM
- August 23: THE OFFSPRING + SHAKA PONK + KIDS IN GLASS HOUSES
Nîmes Festival 2010
- July 4: STEVIE WONDER
- July 6: PINK + INVITE
- July 9: ZZ TOP + JOE BONAMASSA + INVITE
- July 15: GOSSIP + YUKSEK + EDITORS + VAMPIRE WEEKEND
- July 19: ACQUES DUTRONC + FELOCHE
- July 20: MIKA + FLORENCE AND THE MACHINE + NEWTON FAULKNER
- July 21: JAMIROQUAI + WAX TAILOR + ROCK & JUNIOR
- July 22: MARK KNOPFLER + KATE WALSH
- July 24: M + GUESTS
- July 7: MOPA + METALLICA
- July 9: JASON MRAZ + ALELA DIANE + JUSTIN NOZUKA
- July 21: FRANZ FERDINAND + THE TING TINGS + THE VIRGINS + THE DODOZ
- July 22: RAPHAEL SAADIQ + AYO + SEAL
- July 23: DJ GARFLD + BIRDY NAM NAM + PRODIGY
- July 24: BENABAR + ZAZA FOURNIER
- July 25: DUFFY + CHARLIE WINSTON + COCOON
- July 28: NINE INCH NAILS
- July 1: JAMES BLUNT / DB CLIFFORD / NICOLE ATKINS & THE SEA
- July 9: LENNY KRAVITZ / ASA / MARTINA TOPLEY BIRD
- July 21: MIKA / YELLE
- July 22: VANESSA PARADIS / THOMAS DUTRONC
- July 26: ALICIA KEYS / LINKAGE
- July 18: MUSE / THE BLOOD ARM / THE SUNSHINE UNDERGROUND
- July 19: TRYO / OURS / DOBACARACOL
- July 22: ARCADE FIRE / ARCTIC MONKEYS / ALBERT HAMMOND JR
- July 18: SEAN PAUL / TOOTS & THE MAYTALS / KRYS
- July 19: PLACEBO / DEUS
- July 20: DEPECHE MODE / GOLDFRAPP
- July 22: TOTO / JOE SATRIANI
- July 23: TEXAS / EL PRESIDENTE
- July 19: JOE COCKER / FEIST
- July 20: FRANZ FERDINAND / MICKEY 3D / THE SERVANT
- July 21: KYO / MASS HYSTERIA / SUPERBUS
- July 22: JAMIROQUAI / DAVID WALTERS
- July 23: RAMMSTEIN / TORGULL
- July 15: PLACEBO / MIOSSEC / COLOR OF FIRE
- July 22: MUSE / DIONYSOS / KINGS OF LEON / OAÏSTAR
- July 23: PETER GABRIEL / THE STREETS / IDRISSA DIOP
- July 24: EROS RAMAZZOTTI / SOFIA MESTARI
- July 20: MASSIVE ATTACK / AMON TOBIN / THE BEES
- July 22: ALANIS MORISSETTE / ASTON VILLA
- July 14: DAVID BOWIE / N * E * R * D / HAWKSLEY WORKMAN and The Wolves
- July 18: BEN HARPER & THE INNOCENT CRIMINALS / BLIND BOYS OF ALABAMA
- July 19: MUSE / MY FAVORITE DENTIST IS DEAD / NOIR DESIR / PJ HARVEY
The Festival in 2000
- July 26: COMPAY SEGUNDO / BANDA MUNICIPALE DE SANTIAGO DE CUBA / ORQUESTA ARAGON
- July 22: THE GLADIATORS / MAD PROFESSOR / MASSILIA SOUND SYSTEM / BALTHAZAR / MATMATAH / PIERPOLJAK / BURNING SPEAR
- July 23: STEREOPHONICS / SINCLAIR / LOUISE ATTAQUE / THE CURE
- July 24: DUBMATIQUE / FONKY FAMILY / I AM
July 23: MORCHEEBA / FFF / JAMIROQUAI
July 24: SINSEMILIA / CAST / ECHOBELLY / NOIR DESIR