Rock in the Seine is a festival that takes place in the Parc de Saint-Cloud at the gates of Paris in the heart of the historic gardens designed by Le Nôtre. Rock en Seine 2020 will drop its bags at the Domaine National du Parc de Saint Cloud on Saturday August 29, Sunday August 30 and Tuesday September 1.
Rock en Seine 2021: the program
Each year the festival Rock in the Seine attracts thousands of spectators in the magnificent national domain of the Parc de Saint Cloud. Rage against the machine is the Headlining for an extraordinary and exclusive date on September 1st, Run The Jewels will open for the Rages. Ticket sales for Rock en Seine 2020 still possible.
The flagship festival of Ile-de-France strikes a blow with the exceptional and exclusive presence of Rage Against The Machine! Zack de la Rocha, Tom Morello, Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk will give their only date in France on September 1, 2020 during this new edition of Rock En Seine.
Rock En Seine will take control of the Ile de France for three musical days extraordinary on Saturday August 29, Sunday August 30 and Tuesday September 1, 2020. Yes, this year the festival is innovative and takes place on a weekend and a weekday. The result is that rumors are spreading on the internet, which may indicate a very good surprise on the Prog side.
The Rock en Seine festival in a few dates
In 2003, Rock en Seine was born on Wednesday August 27 with two stages and ten groups. In 2004, Rock en Seine extended its duration from one to two days for twice as many groups. The festival opens up other artistic forms than music with Rockfolio (photo exhibition by Claude Gassian), Rock en Strophes and Rock en Clips. The festival site was enlarged in 2005 to allow the installation of a third stage and the development of a campsite.
In 2007, the festival lasted for three days, on August 24, 25 and 26 Amy Winehouse canceled her performance. In 2009, the festival welcomed 97,000 spectators. The Oasis group is withdrawing from service due to a big behind-the-scenes dispute between its members which leads to the group's disbandment.
In 2010, the festival welcomed 105,000 spectators. It was in 2011 that the festival expanded, a fourth stage appeared in a new district. It welcomes a total of 108,000 spectators.
In 2017 the festival was bought by businessman Matthieu Pigasse associated with AEG. Sarah Schmitt becomes Managing Director of Rock en Seine and thus succeeds François Missonnier. It welcomes a total of 110,000 spectators.
The scenes of Rock en Seine
Rock en Seine now has six stages instead of 2 when it started:
- the big stage, which can accommodate up to 30,000 spectators.
- the industry scene (10,000 spectators).
- the waterfall stage, with a maximum capacity of 20,000 spectators.
- the Firestone scene.
- the grove scene.
- the Île-de-France scene.
The “Avant Seine” of Rock en Seine
In 2005, Rock en Seine opened “Les Avant Seine” for the third time with the support of the Île-de-France region. A selection of Ile-de-France groups participate in the official festival program. Since 2005, the company Avant Seine has been honoring the rock scene of Ile-de-France.
Each year, the six selected groups performed on one of the stages of the festival, and one of their tracks was released on a compilation which was distributed free of charge to 80,000 copies.
- 2005: Stuck in the Sound, Flying Pooh, HushPuppies, Herman Düne, Sayag Jazz Machine, Hopper.
- 2006: Rhesus, Dead Pop Club, Daddy Longlegs, Neïmo, French Paradoxe, Fancy.
- 2007: Racket cover, Hey Hey My My, Nelson, Pravda, Rodeo Massacre, I Love UFO.
- 2008: Narrow Terence, Brooklyn, The Latitudz, Molecule, Da Brasilians, Fortune.
- 2009: Lilly Wood & The Prick, Hindi Zahra, Cheveu, Gush, Jil Is Lucky, The Tatianas.
- 2010: Success, King of Conspiracy, I Am Un Chien, Quadricolor, Viva & the Diva, Roken is Dodelijk.
- 2011: Frànçois and The Atlas Mountains, Concrete Knives, The Feeling of Love, Myra Lee, Beat Mark, Birdy Hunt.
- 2012: Granville, Owlle, Yeti Lane, The Lanskies, Versus, Hyphen Hyphen.
- 2013: FAUVE, Team Ghost, FI / SHE / S, JC Satàn, St. Lô, Wall Of Death.
- 2014: ALB, Dorian Pimpernel, Feu! Chatterton, Jessica93, PEGASE, Little Phantom.
- 2015: DBFC, VKNG, Forever Pavot, We Are Match, Jeanne Added, Last Train.
- 2016: KillASon, O, Adrien Soleiman, Kaviar Special, Maestro, Théo Lawrence & The Hearts.
- 2017: Inuït, Barbagallo, Fuzzy Vox, Gracy Hopkins, Lysistrata, Therapie Taxi, Rendez-Vous.
Rock en Seine and Saint-Cloud National Park
The festival takes place in the lower part of the park of the Saint-Cloud national domain, a place on the outskirts of Paris, five minutes from the Boulogne - Pont de Saint-Cloud metro station. This site, designed by Le Nôtre in the seventeenth century, is the first garden to have been classified as a historical monument in 1994. It offers, over 460 hectares of greenery, gardens, a forest, and a park made up of ponds, groves, waterfalls and statues leading to the Seine.
The different editions of Rock en Seine
Rock en Seine - 2003 Edition
The first edition of Rock en Seine took place on August 27, 2003.
Wednesday August 27: Massive Attack, PJ Harvey, Beck, Morcheeba, Keziah Jones, K's Choice, Tom McRae, Eagle Eye Cherry. Electric Six
Rock en Seine - 2004 Edition
The second edition of the festival took place on August 27 and 28. It has brought together prestigious rock groups such as: the White Stripes duo, the Sonic Youth combo, the Muse trio. Electronic music was also in the spotlight with the Chemical Brothers.
- Friday August 27: Sonic Youth, White Stripes, Chemical Brothers, Flogging Molly, The Roots, Joss Stone, Blanche, Wax Poetic, Electrelane, Daniel Darc and Yann Destal
- Saturday August 28: Muse, Archive, Melissa Auf der Maur, Radio 4, Buck 65, Nosfell, Mr Vegas, Kaolin, Zero 71.
Rock en Seine - 2005 Edition
The third edition of the festival took place on August 25 and 26, 2005. We saw among others, the Canadians of Arcade Fire, and the Scots of Franz Ferdinand, as well as the Pixies (reformed in 2004), without forgetting Robert Plant (former lead singer of rock band Led Zeppelin) with his new group "The Strange Sensation". Fans of more brutal rock enjoyed a Foo Fighters concert and a Queens of the Stone Age concert.
Finally, more than 46,000 spectators attended the third edition of Rock en Seine.
- Thursday August 25: Pixies, Queens of the Stone Age, Arcade Fire, Feist, The Sunday Drivers, Jurassic 5, Hot Hot Heat, Athlete, Vitalic, The Subways, Alkaline Trio.
- Friday August 26: Franz Ferdinand, Foo Fighters, Robert Plant, Goldfrapp, Saïan Supa Crew, The Departure, Babyshambles, La Phaze, Amp Fiddler and Asyl.
Rock en Seine - 2006 Edition
- Friday August 25: Morrissey, Kasabian (replacing Richard Ashcroft), The Raconteurs, DJ Shadow, Patrice, Dirty Pretty Things, Nada Surf, Calexico, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, TV on the Radio, Wolfmother, India Arie, Dead Pop Club.
- Saturday August 26: Radiohead, Beck, Broken Social Scene + guests, The Rakes, Skin, Rhesus, The Dead 60s, Phoenix, Grand Corps Malade, Editors, Xavier Rudd, Taking Back Sunday, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, Daddy Longlegs.
Rock en Seine - 2007 Edition
To celebrate its 5th anniversary, Rock en Seine is extending the festivities and stretching for the first time over three days.
- Friday August 24: Dizzee Rascal, Mogwai, The Shins, The Hives, Arcade Fire, Rock & Roll, Dinosaur Jr, MIA, Émilie Simon, 2 Many DJ's, Hey Hey My My, Biffy Clyro, The Noisettes, UNKLE.
- Saturday August 25: The Fratellis, Cold War Kids (replacing Amy Winehouse), Jarvis Cocker, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Tool, Puppetmastaz, Hellogoodbye, Erik Truffaz, CSS, Les Rita Mitsouko, Pravda, Calvin Harris, Alpha.
- Sunday August 26: Mark Ronson, Kings of Leon, Faithless, Björk, Bat for Lashes, DeVotchKa, Kelis, Just Jack, Craig Armstrong, Cover of Racket, Albert Hammond Jr, Enter Shikari.
Rock en Seine - 2008 Edition
- Wednesday August 20: Rage Against the Machine, Mix Master Mike, Lostprophets, Blood Red Shoes.
- Thursday August 28: REM, Dirty Pretty Things, Kaiser Chiefs, Tricky, Serj Tankian, The Dø, Apocalyptica, Wax Tailor, Plain White T's, Hot Chip, The Infadels, These New Puritans, Narrow Terence, Da Brasilians, The Latitudz.
- Friday August 29: The Raconteurs, Justice, The Roots, The Streets, Kate Nash, Jamie Lidell, Louis XIV, Black Kids, Blues Explosion, Scars on Broadway, Brooklyn.
The festival was marked by the cancellation of Amy Winehouse's concert, scheduled to headline the second day. The reasons for this cancellation concern the health of the singer.
His concert was replaced by an extension of the concert of Justice and by the performance of the English rapper The Streets, on the big stage (initially planned on the stage of the industry). The organizers expressed their regret over the cancellation of the singer's closing concert.
As for the weeklong gap between the first day and the following ones, this was due to issues with the availability of the headliner Rage Against the Machine, while on tour.
Rock en Seine - 2009 Edition
- Friday August 28: Madness, Keane, Bloc Party, Amy Macdonald, Vitalic, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Vampire Weekend, Just Jack, Oceana, Bill Callahan, Passion Pit, Gush4.
- Saturday August 29: Faith No More, The Offspring, Billy Talent, Birdy Nam Nam, Ebony Bones, Yann Tiersen, Noisettes, Calvin Harris, The Horrors, Dananananaykroyd, The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, School Of Seven Bells, Jil is lucky, Cheveu4.
- Sunday August 30: The Prodigy, MGMT, Eagles of Death Metal, Klaxons, Them Crooked Vultures (mystery band announced as Les Petits Pois), Macy Gray, Sliimy, Robin McKelle, Baaba Maal, Metric, Patrick Wolf, Veto, Hindi Zahra, Lilly Wood and the Prick.
Oasis, who was scheduled to headlining on the 28th, canceled their concert following a backstage altercation between the Gallagher brothers. Madness, who had already played earlier in the day, replaced them at short notice. A few hours later, Noel Gallagher announced his departure from the group5, which dissolved a few weeks later.
Rock en Seine - 2010 Edition
- Friday August 27: Blink 182, Cypress Hill, Underworld, Skunk Anansie, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Foals, The Kooks, Band of Horses, Kele, All Time Low, Minus the Bear, Deadmau5, French Cowboy, Beast.
- Saturday August 28: Queens of the Stone Age, Massive Attack, 2 Many DJ's, LCD Soundsystem, Paolo Nutini, Two Door Cinema Club, Chew Lips, Stereophonics, Plan B, K'Naan, Jónsi, Jello Biafra, Naive New Beaters, Martina Topley-Bird (replacing Ou is the swimming pool).
- Sunday August 29: Arcade Fire, Beirut, Fat Freddy's Drop, The Ting Tings, I am un chien, Roxy Music, Eels, Rox, The Temper Trap, The Black Angels, Wallis Bird, Crystal Castles, Success.
On August 20, Charles Haddon, singer of the group Ou est le swimming pool, committed suicide a few days before the festival, when he was only 22 years old. As a result, the group cancels its scheduled arrival on August 28 and it is replaced by Martina Topley-Bird, already present on the spot the same day alongside the group Massive Attack.
For the first time, the total attendance of the festival exceeded 100,000 spectators.
Rock en Seine - 2011 Edition
- Friday August 26: Foo Fighters, The Kills, Death in Vegas, Paul Kalkbrenner, Kid Cudi, Big Audio Dynamite, Jamaica, Biffy Clyro, Yuksek, Herman Düne, Cansei de Ser Sexy, Grouplove, Odd Future, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros , General Elektriks, Seasick Steve.
- Saturday August 27: Arctic Monkeys, Interpol, HushPuppies, CocoRosie, The Wombats, Keren Ann, Étienne de Crécy, Death From Above 1979, BB Brunes, The Streets, Sexy Sushi, The Jim Jones Revue, Blonde Redhead, Cage the Elephant, Austra , The Black Box Revelation, Gruff Rhys, WU LYF8.
- Sunday August 28: Archive, Deftones, My Chemical Romance, The La's, The Vaccines, Miles Kane, The Horrors, Anna Calvi, Simple Plan, Trentemøller, Nneka, Tinie Tempah, Crocodiles, The Naked and Famous, Lilly Wood and the Prick, Lykke Li, Concrete Knives, Frànçois and The Atlas Mountains, Cherri Bomb.
Rock en Seine - 2012 Edition
- Friday August 24: Billy Talent, Bloc Party, Bromance: Brodinski, Gesaffelstein & Club Cheval, C2C, Citizens !, Dionysos, Get Well Soon, Grimes, Miike Snow, Para One, Placebo, Sigur Rós, The Asteroid Galaxy Tour, The Shins , Yeti Lane
- Saturday August 25: Caravan Palace, dEUS, Eagles of Death Metal, Mark Lanegan, Maxïmo Park, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, The Bewitched Hands, The Black Keys, Agoria presents Forms, Childish Gambino, Ed Sheeran, Granville, Of Monsters and Men , Speech Debelle, The Black Seeds, The Temper Trap, Toy, Ume
- Sunday August 26: Avant Seine All Stars (with Success, Jil is Lucky, Gush, Cheveu, Molecule, Hey Hey My, Fancy, Stuck in the Sound and HushPuppies10), Beach House, Bombay Bicycle Club, Foster the People, Friends, Grandaddy, Green Day, Kimbra, Little Dragon, Passion Pit, Social Distortion, Stuck in the Sound, The Dandy Warhols, The Lanskies, The Waterboys
On August 11, Frank Ocean announced the cancellation of his European tour11 and therefore of his performance at the Rock En Seine festival. It is replaced by Para One.
Rock en Seine - 2013 Edition
- Friday August 23: Paul Kalkbrenner, Franz Ferdinand, Tame Impala, Belle and Sebastian, Chance the Rapper, Kendrick Lamar, Alt-J, Tomahawk, Savages, Hanni El Khatib, The Pastels, Johnny Marr, Team Ghost, !!!, Alex Hepburn, Daughter12.
- Saturday August 24: Phoenix, Nine Inch Nails, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Eugene McGuinness, Vitalic, Patrice, La Femme, Fritz Kalkbrenner, Jackson and His Computer Band, Fauve, Valerie June, Wavves12.
- Sunday August 25: System of a Down, The Bloody Beetroots, Eels, Major Lazer, Skip the Use, Mac Miller, Surfer Blood, VV Brown, Lianne La Havas, Is Tropical, Tricky, Chvrches, MS MR, Poliça12.
Rock en Seine - 2014 Edition
- Friday August 22: Arctic Monkeys, Die Antwoord, The Hives, Blondie, Jake Bugg, Wild Beasts, Gary Clark Jr., Cage The Elephant, Trentemøller, Mac Demarco, Crystal Fighters, Pegase, Jessica93, Étienne de Crécy: Super Discount 3, Royal Blood, Hozier, Traams, Tiger Bell, Alice Lewis, Velvet Veins, Camp Clauden, Kitty, Daisy and Lewis.
- Saturday August 23: The Prodigy, Flume, Portishead, Émilie Simon, The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger, Thee Oh Sees, Junip, St. Paul and The Broken Bones, The Horrors, Joey Bada$$, Cheveu, ALB, Dorian Pimpernel, St Vincent, Frànçois and The Atlas Mountains, Lucius, Clean Bandit, Giana Factory, Encore !, Agua Roja, Jean Jean.
- Sunday August 24: Queens of the Stone Age, La Roux, Lana Del Rey, Janelle Monáe, Selah Sue, Warpaint, Airbourne, Cloud Nothings, Blood Red Shoes, Kavinsky (OUTRUN LIVE), Tinariwen, Brody Dalle, Little Ghost, Fire! Chatterton, Cut Copy, Stephen Malkmus and The Jicks, Thurston Moore, Fat White Family, To Kill a King, TITS, Forever Pavot, Jeanne Added.
Rock en Seine - 2015 Edition
- Friday August 28: Ghost, John Butler Trio, Rodrigo y Gabriela, The Offspring, Kasabian, Throes & The Shine, Benjamin Clementine, Franz Ferdinand and Sparks (FFS), Fauve, VKNG, Jeanne Added, Jacco Gardner, Miossec, Handbraekes, Kate Tempest, Wolf Alice, Catfish & the Bottlemen, Wand, Son Lux, Lewis Evans, Inigo Montoya, Cléa Vincent.
- Saturday August 29: The Maccabees, Ben Howard, Stereophonics, Interpol, The Libertines, Balthazar, Marina and the Diamonds, Étienne Daho, Gramatik, Forever Pavot, DBFC, Young Thug, Bianca Casady and the CIA, Jamie xx, Cardiknox, Mini Mansions , Glass Animals, Years and Years, Shamir, Sparky in the Clouds, Lomepal, La Muerte.
- Sunday August 30: Kadavar, My Morning Jacket, Hot Chip, Tame Impala, The Chemical Brothers, Juan Wauters, Fuzz, Jungle, alt-J, We Are Match, Last Train, Seinabo Sey, Mark Lanegan Band, Run the Jewels, Pond , Natalie Prass, Here We Go Magic, Parquet Courts, N'To, Maestro, Marietta, Billie Brelok.
Rock en Seine - 2016 Edition
- Friday August 26: The Last Shadow Puppets, Two Door Cinema Club, Birdy Nam Nam, Caravan Palace, Damian Marley, Anderson .Paak, Breakbot, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Clutch, Royal Republic, Bastille, Flavien Berger, Adrien Soleiman, Jack Garratt , Logic, Rendezvous, The Strumbellas, Slaves, Theo Lawrence and the Hearts, Bombino, DjeuhDjoah & Lieutenant Nicholson, Einleit.
- Saturday August 27: Massive Attack, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Sigur Rós, Bring me The Horizon, Wolfmother, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, Casseurs Flowters, Grand Blanc, Beau, The Shins, Dua Lipa, Kaviar Special, L7, La Femme, O, Tim Dup, The Temper Trap, The Underachievers, Beach Slang, Nusky & Vaati, Joycut, The Psychotic Monks.
- Sunday August 28: Foals, Iggy Pop, Sum 41, Cassius, Ghinzu, Gregory Porter, Chvrches, Aurora, Bibi Bourelly, Blues Pills, Editors, KillASon, Maestro, Miike Snow, Peaches, Soulwax, Imarhan, JP Monova, Kevin Morby, Little Simz, Pogo Car Crash Control, Tiwayo.
Rock en Seine - 2017 Edition
- Friday August 25: Flume, Franz Ferdinand, At The Drive In, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Shins, Hercules & Love Affair, Frank Carter & the Rattlesnakes, The Pretty Reckless, Beach Fossils, Black Lips, Mo, Grouplove, Caballero & Jeanjass, FKJ, Barbagallo, Inüit.
- Saturday August 26: PJ Harvey, Vince Staples, Band of Horses, Lee Fields & The Expressions, Jain, The Kills, Fakear, Little Dragon, Girls in Hawaii, Columbine, Ibibio Sound Machine, Her, Timber Timbre, Urlika Spacek, Peter Peter , Lysistrata, Therapie Taxi, Sleaford Mods.
- Sunday August 27: The XX, George Ezra, Rone, Mac Demarco, Cypress Hill, Deluxe, Ty Segall, Slowdive, Rejjie Snow, Denzel Curry, The Lemon Twigs, Amber Run, Romeo Elvis X le Motel, Panda Dub, Car Seat Headrest, Gracy Hopkins, Rendez- you.
Rock en Seine - 2018 Edition
- Friday August 24: Attaque 77, First Aid Kit, Mike Shinoda, Die Antwoord, PNL, Josman, Dirty Projectors, Nick Murphy fka Chet Faker, Parcels, Terrenoire, MNNQNS, Stefflon Don, The Limiñanas, Carpenter Brut, Noname, Yellow Days, George FitzGerald Live, Sophie, Yelle Club Party, Djam, Fang The Great, Gothking, West Thebarton, The Orielles, Deaf Havana
- Saturday August 25: Theo Lawrence and The Hearts, Cigarettes After Sex, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Liam Gallagher, Thirty Seconds to Mars, SG Lewis, Anna Calvi, Black Star, Charlotte Gainsbourg, The Psychotic Monks, Malik Djoudi, Octavian, PLK, Casual Gabberz, Onyx Collective, Tamino, Insecure Men, Fat White Family, YOTA, 8 In Bloom, La Veine, Lily, Moussa, Ouai Stephane, Waste, Welshly Arms, Kingdom
- Sunday August 26: Ady Suleiman, Confidence Man, Wolf Alice, Macklemore, Justice, The Regrettes, Mashrou 'Leila, Glass Animals, Post Malone, Lord Esperanza, Halo Maud, Otzeki, Jessica93, Bonobo, Ezra Furman, IDLES, Bicep Live, The Black Angels, Yanse, The Cage, Moons, Sein, Form, Belako, Mourn
Rock en Seine - 2019 Edition
- Friday 23 August: The Cure, Balthazar, Jeanne Added, Eels, Johnny Marr, Kompromat, MNNQNS, Max Jury, Alice Merton, Bagarre, We hate you please die, Silly Boy Blue, Love Supreme, Süeür, Let's Eat Grandma, Lee-Ann Curren, Météo Mirage, Biche , Nouk's, Reverse
- Saturday August 24: Major Lazer, Jorja Smith, Jungle, Polo & Pan, Louis Cole Big Band, Alpha Wann, Catastrophe, girl in red, Celeste, Mungo's HI FI feat. Charlie P. & Marina P., Mahalia, Tommy Genesis, 7 Jaws, Zed Yun Pavarotti, Peter Cat Recording Co., Mathilda Homer, Kitchies
- Sunday August 25: Aphex Twin, Foals, Royal Blood, Bring Me The Horizon, Two Door Cinema Club, Deerhunter, Sam Fender, Mini Mansions, Cannibale, Agar Agar, Weval, Clairo, Le Villejuif Underground, La Chica, The Murder Capital, Boy Azooga, Decibelles, Calling Marian, Mauvais Oeil, Half Pipe, Foxxes
Eric CANTO Photographer: Concert photos, portraits, album covers.